Saturday 10 March 2007

Le Pain Quotidien

In the evening we went to Le Pain Quotidien. Mmm, I was salivating in anticipation as we approached the door!

I had to have the cheeseboard of course, I couldn’t not have that with its gorgeously tasty breads and perfectly melting cheese. The hazelnut and raisin flute that came with the cheeseboard was particularly nutty today, it really was tasty.

Charles tried the cod this time. That was exceptionally good. The cod itself was crispy on the outside and juicily tasty on the inside, and it came with potatoes that had been very thinly sliced and crisscrossed on top of each other with just a hint of cheese. I think there was some vegetable thing on his plate too, but the cod and the potatoes were so mouthwateringly tasty that I was beyond noticing anything else! Next time I’m having more than just a taste, I’m ordering that for myself! He also ordered a tofu salad. The tofu itself was tasteless in the way that only tofu can be(!) but it was so beautifully presented, with brightly coloured sauces running along each slice of tofu, and the salad itself was full of taste.

Charles’ friend Ben had an organic soup which I am now wishing I had tried too, as everything I have ever eaten in this restaurant, bar one rather strange salad a few weeks back, has been exceptionally (and I do mean exceptionally) good. (Although I shouldn’t assume that I can just help myself to people’s dinners… perhaps Ben wouldn’t have appreciated me dunking my spoon into his food!)

We had been looking forward to the blackberry and apple crumble on the specials board since we first sat down. However, when the waitress cleared our main course plates away she just disappeared and didn’t come back. After a few minutes, very impatient for my pudding, I got up and asked her to come across so that we could order dessert. She rather grumpily threw dessert menus onto the table in front of us and then went to disappear again, but we quickly called out to her retreating back that we would like the blackberry and apple crumbles please… at which she told us we couldn’t have any hot food because the kitchen had closed at 10.30. Huh? When we had first sat down Charles had specifically asked what time the restaurant closed and had been told 11.00pm. It was now only 10.40pm and nobody had at any time come over to tell us that the kitchen was about to close and would we like to order anything else. I was really disappointed. I had only had a cheeseboard instead of a main meal specifically so that I would be able to fit the crumble into my belly. It spoiled an otherwise lovely meal. I gently pointed out to the waitress that it would have been nice if we had been told about the kitchen closing in time to order our desserts, at which she threw a definitely unmeant “Sorry” in my direction and stropped off!

What is it with grumpy waitresses?! I know people get bad days, and I know waitressing can be hard and tiring work – however it’s one of those jobs where, like it or not, part of the actual job description is to be eternally polite and helpful no matter how crap a day you are having. If you can’t do that then you need to find a different kind of job! (I think both our waitresses today would make good traffic wardens!!)

Previous blog post for this restaurant: http://eatingoutinlondon.blogspot.com/2006/12/le-pain-quotidien-royal-festival-hall.html

Le Pain Quotidien, Royal Festival Hall, South Bank, London SE1 8XX
http://www.lepainquotidien.com/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

overlooking otters unauthorized coffee stimulus linenhall faults upward fundraising sdes hkjrh
masimundus semikonecolori